High-quality wastewater treatment solution in a small space
A three-bedroom home on a small lot in Juneau, Alaska had a failed drainfield and limited space for a replacement solution. No room was available for a conventional drainfield. Direct discharge of treated effluent was not an option.
The situation called for an all-in-one treatment and dosing system that would be robust, provide effluent by-pass protection and consistently produce high-quality effluent for dispersal into a reduced sized area.
Sloan Swendsen, co-owner of Juneau Septic Services, designed a solution:
- Platinum submerged aerated filterfor secondary treatment. This model has an integrated pump package in the clarifier (no need for separate pump tank).
- TwoPuraflo peat fiber biofiltersfor final polishing of the secondarily treated effluent.
In-ground pad for dispersal of the effluent weeping from the base of the Puraflo modules.
The combination of the Platinum and Puraflo produces an effluent that achieves a 5:5 mg/l BOD:TSS standard with significant pathogen reduction. That’s 95 percent clean wastewater versus 40 percent that comes directly from a septic tank.
The Platinum submerged aerated filter, combined with the Puraflo peat fiber biofilter, provides:
- exceptional effluent quality
- extremely small footprint
- high level of nitrogen and pathogen reduction
- low life cycle costs compared to other options
- reliability and peace of mind
If you are replacing or installing an onsite wastewater treatment solution in a small space, you may want to consider a Platinum/Puraflo combination.
Tom Smith Tom Smith is the former director of operations and marketing at Anua. Tom is driving demand for wastewater treatment, water reuse, rainwater harvesting and odor/VOC control solutions. He has a B.A. from Duke University and an MBA from the Fuqua School of Business.