Tips to make the best use of your range hood
Do you know why it's important to use the range hood if you have one, and why it's important to have one that's properly sized and installed?
The top reasons to use the range hood are obvious. You're trying to eliminate excess heat, grease, smoke and food odors.
But the range hood can do so much more. It can also get rid of steam, moisture, pollen, chemicals, mold, mildew and even animal dander. If you cook on a gas stove, cooking can release carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide, which can be damaging to your respiratory system.
Here are some tops to make your kitchen a cleaner, healthier place for you and your family:
- Change the setting from high to low depending on what you're cooking. For regular cooking low may be just fine, but frying or if something burns will require a higher setting.
- Your range hood can re-circulate the air in your kitchen and keep moisture from building up while boiling food. This moisture can easily move to other areas of your home and create a health hazard. Excess moisture allows mold, mildew and dust mites to thrive in your home.
- Definitely use the range hood when frying food with oil, as particles go into the air that can hurt your lungs when inhaled. As well, burned food releases carcinogens. The range hood draws out from the kitchen and replaces it with healthy fresh air. Use your range hood to clear the air when cooking with other appliances, such as microwaves, slow cookers, toasters and convection ovens.
- While baking or cooking, you may need to use the range hood to eliminate smoke, which contains harmful carbon particles, as well as sulfuric acid. These can irritate your lungs and are harmful to plants as well.
- If the smoke alarm sounds, turn on your range hood.
- Use your range hood to eliminate chemicals in the air after cleaning in the kitchen and even other areas of the house.
You can test the efficiency of your range hood by holding a piece of paper up to the vent filter. If it sticks, the system is working nicely. If not, it may have too much build-up of grease and other by-products of cooking, and needs to be cleaned. In case of a fire on your stove or in the oven, turn the range hood off immediately, so any flames will not be sucked up into the vent.
Read more about ventilation products here.